Musical Theater Camps
Register early — Camps fill quickly!
2016 Camp Dates
Session 1: 6/25 — 6/29/18
Session 2: 7/9 — 7/13/18
Session 3: 7/16 — 7/20/18
Session 4: 7/23 — 7/27/18
The Creative Process
Campers work together to develop their own skit and then create everything needed for the show, from props to costumes. Camp ends with performance of the original show! Actors are encouraged to be creative, work as a team and take responsibility for the outcome of their efforts.
This format allows for kids to set their own pace and work in both small and large teams. It is amazing to see how kids group together in different ways to produce the final show–little kids work with big kids, all supporting each other! New friendships form and kids learn how to troubleshoot and manage their emotions through the creative process. Kids, counselors and teachers go through the creative process; which is simultaneously challenging, exciting, slow and fast; to come up with the exhilarating final show.
These camps are great fun; both parents and kids often say they are “impressed” and that it is “their favorite camp”.
When kids are given the opportunity to be taken seriously with their art, they go through the growth process which leaves them feeling stronger and more confident. When we spend the day on a huge to-do list, the kids often go home and say they spent the entire day having “free time” at camp.
This is because the ability to choose their own projects and pace gives them a sense of freedom with their schedules and their outcomes. Some kids work on every project and become 100% involved in the camp process while others pace themselves, observe and take it more slowly.
These different approaches are all part of the creative process and team collaboration that is necessary to create great art, which is our goal for these camps!
Camp at a Glance
- The day will start with a circle where the kids get to know one another. The camp staff introduces the framework for the skit and then the kids give input on what they would like to include to fit the theme.
- The camp staff works with the campers to find songs to fit the camp theme.
- Student ideas and feedback are worked into the script in the story line, the staging and the music.
- Student self-cast the show. They choose which parts they will be.
- On Wednesdays, campers give their input on the costumes and how they can be created out of the supplies on-hand. They can also add their own ideas and develop them through problem-solving methods that are fun and creative.
- Thursdays are dress rehearsal day and Fridays are our final performances!
STAFF that is artistic, dynamic, and energetic
CURRICULUM that inspires creativity and collaboration.
METHOD that captures childhood creativity and imagination.
Watch your kids blossom as they immerse themselves in music, make friends, grow their confidence, and express their creativity.
Teamed by age and led by our dynamic staff, campers dive into music, art, and on stage play. Each week, campers collaborate, leveraging their individual strengths to develop a final performance. Through this work, they convey ideas and emotions and build awareness of nuance, complexity, structure, emphasis and theme in musical expression.